Diversity & Inclusion
Some 32,000 people, in more than 20 countries, make up the Telstra family. We’re from diverse backgrounds, with a variety of skills and talents.
We’re passionate about creating an environment that’s inclusive and supportive; a place where everyone can truly be themselves. We are proactive about making sure our workplaces give our people the chance to shine. We do this with specific practices about diversity, fairness and flexibility. We encourage all our people to be active champions of equality and inclusion.
Our focus on diversity and inclusion spans all the ways in which people differ, both visible and invisible. This includes gender, age, ethnicity, race, cultural background, disability, religion and sexual orientation. We believe diversity fosters greater innovation, stronger problem-solving capability, better customer connection and increased morale.
Diversity and inclusion at Telstra is led by the Diversity Council, chaired by our CEO and comprising the entire CEO leadership team, with Diversity Councils also in operation in all of our Business Units.
We’re commitment to creating a truly inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all walks of life to bring their whole selves to work and achieve great things. From the top of the business down, our approach to Diversity and Inclusion is all encompassing so that our people feel valued and that they’re a part of something big, while still being themselves.
Our Diversity Council is chaired by our CEO and joined by the entire CEO leadership team, our people promote a safe and inclusive workplace that our people live and breathe. It’s an important commitment and one that hasn’t gone unnoticed as we’ve received international recognition from a range of leading organisations.
It’s about living and breathing it, in our everyday actions. We’re proud to have received recognition for our work from leading organisations, including the Australian Human Resources Institute, Workplace Gender Equality Agency, Catalyst, and Thomson Reuters.
Here’s a list of some recent D&I accolades:
- Ranked 15 in Top 20 Employers for GLBT Employees, Australian Workplace Equality Index 2016
- Ranked in Top 100 Global Workplaces for Diversity and Inclusion by Thomson Reuters
- Winner – 2015 Workforce Flexibility, Australian HR Institute Awards
- Winner – 2015 Inclusive Workplace, Australian HR Institute Awards
- In October 2015, Troy Roderick, Head of Diversity and Inclusion, was recognised in the “Top 50 diversity professionals in industry” in the inaugural Global Diversity List, supported by The Economist.
- Ranked in Top 20 Employers for GLBT Employees, Australian Workplace Equality Index 2015
- Awarded the 2014 & 2015 WGEA citation as Employer of Choice for Gender Equality