Senior Software Developer - Fixed Term Full Time
Who We Are:
Telstra is Australia's leading telecommunications and information services company employing over 37,000 staff, being the most well-known brand in the technology and communications industry.
We offer a full range of services and compete in all telecommunications markets throughout Australia, providing more than 9.6 million Australian fixed line and 12.2 million mobile services.
Adding to Telstra's portfolio of well-known Australian organisations, Defence has signed a $1.1 billion agreement with Telstra for the provision of telecommunications services.
The agreement will enable Defence to transform its communications technology including better integrating fixed telecommunications with satellite and tactical networks.
Telstra's aim is to deliver technology that can become the backbone of Australian Defence for the next decade and beyond. The agreement represents the largest customer undertaking in Telstra's history and will support military operations at home and abroad.
We are seeking the most talented people to transform the Defence communication network and take it into another dimension.
- Assist with development and improvement of Telstra JP2047 Project systems and other projects as directed
- Write clean, maintainable and efficient code
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle including documentation, quality assurance and testing.
- Follow software development best practices
- The ability to prioritise and be flexible with work assignments. What is required may change rapidly and the right applicant will be able to incorporate and respond to the needs of Telstra and the JP2047 project with a minimum of disruption.
- A team player and natural communicator, who will easily integrate with the existing teams and pass back relevant observations
- HSE Responsibility: Take reasonable care for your own safety and the safety of others, comply with and implement any reasonable Telstra HSE instruction, policy, standard, minimum requirement or procedure, and support Telstra to meet its duties under the relevant safety and environmental legislation.
Experience and Skills:
- Proven software development and/or scripting experience on Unix platforms with OO languages such as Ruby or Python;
- A firm grasp of object oriented analysis and design;
- Ability to learn new programming languages quickly;
- Demonstrable knowledge of model-view-controller (MVC) architectural patterns for web-based application;
- Solid knowledge of relational database systems (RDBMS) such as PostgreSQL, MySQL;
- Ability to create and optimise complex SQL queries;
- Experience with the version control system e.g. Git.
- A strong understanding of networking principles;
- Familiarity with the Ruby on Rails MVC framework;
- Experience with Stored Procedures and PL/SQL;
- Experience developing dynamic applications;
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Basic, Excel VBA & Visio Diagram Automation;
- A good understanding of ORM (Object Relational Mapping);
- Experience with Virtualisation technologies such as VMWare ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V or Linux KVM
Candidates must be Australian Citizens and have current Baseline clearance minimum to be considered. This role will require you to hold and maintain an Australian Government NV1 clearance.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. To enable everyone to participate, we’ve developed an ‘All Roles Flex’ policy to consider flexible ways of working for every role. To learn more, visit tel.st/allrolesflex