Our values underpin the critical role we play in protecting the financial well-being of the Australian community. Our values were selected to help everyone at APRA to achieve the high standards necessary for us to protect the financial well-being of the Australian community. In our work and in our interactions with others, we seek to demonstrate:
- Integrity – we act without bias, are balanced in the use of our powers, and deliver on our commitments.
- Collaboration – we actively seek out and encourage diverse points of view, to produce well-founded decisions
- Accountability – we are open to challenge and scrutiny, and take responsibility for our actions
- Respect – we are always respectful of others, and their opinions and ideas
- Excellence – we maintain high standards of quality and professionalism in all that we do
Working and acting in these ways helps us achieve the high standards necessary for us to protect the financial well-being of the Australian community. Our supervisory approach is forward-looking, primarily risk-based, consultative, consistent and in line with international best practice. This approach also recognises that management and boards of supervised institutions are primarily responsible for financial soundness.