Senior Advisor Indigenous Affairs
Senior Advisor Indigenous Affairs
Telstra’s purpose is to create a brilliant connected future for everyone. Our vision for reconciliation is to see our purpose come to life for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Through connection we can create the necessary social, economic and cultural change and create a brilliant connected future for Australia.
This recognises that Indigenous Australians, particularly those in the 1,200 remote communities, face distinct challenges in accessing and using basic telecommunications services. These include geographic and environmental, but also cultural and socio-economic factors.
An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced Indigenous Affairs practitionerto join the Legal & Corporate Affairs business unit. Reporting to the General Manager Digital Inclusion, you will develop and implement programs and activities associated with Telstra’s Indigenous strategy and Reconciliation Action Plan, with a particular emphasis on improving the customer experience.
- Coordinate, integrate and advocate for the telecommunications needs of Indigenous customers, businesses and communities.
- Drive business engagement and commitment to create programs, policies, and initiatives to improve customer service.
- Develop collaborative processes to improve Telstra’s engagement and responsiveness to Indigenous communities, customers and businesses.
- Drive employee engagement to ensure understanding and support of Indigenous customer and business opportunities and developments.
- Ensure that Telstra undertakes relevant research to identify and understand the unique product and service needs of Indigenous customers and communities.
- Manage and develop strategic relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to support Telstra’s Reconciliation Action Plan commitments, and represent Telstra as required.
- Provide effective project management, including planning, program resourcing, budget management, contract development, third-party vendor activities, and stakeholder communications.
- Evaluate, measure and report on the value and effectiveness of Telstra’s Indigenous programs and activities.
- HSE Responsibility: Take reasonable care for your own safety and the safety of others, comply with and implement any reasonable Telstra HSE instruction, policy, standard, minimum requirement or procedure, and support Telstra to meet its duties under the relevant safety and environmental legislation.
- A relevant Degree with several years’ proven practical experience in a related work environment.
- Practical experience with remote and urban Indigenous Australians and strong understanding of the social and cultural factors that apply in these environments.
- Understanding of logistical, cultural and social factors that affect the provision and take-up of telecommunication services in remote Indigenous communities.
- Strong self-starter with the ability to initiate, drive and develop new business opportunities.
- A proven ability to negotiate and to manage both commercial objectives and community expectations.
- Proven capacity to build high quality relationships, and to develop and implement effective stakeholder engagement approaches in multi-stakeholder environments.
- Strong capacity to negotiate and influence at a strategic level across organisational functions and levels.
- Strong customer service skills and understanding of customer-centric product and service design.
- Proven skills in research, strategic analysis and synthesis of complex information.
- Proven communications skills, with the ability to write across a range of formats and audiences, and confident public speaking.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and deliver to strict deadlines.
Due to requirement for a strong understanding Indigenous Affairs in Australia, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. To enable everyone to participate, we’ve developed an ‘All Roles Flex’ policy to consider flexible ways of working for every role. To learn more, visit our Telstra Careers Website: tel.st/allrolesflex