M&A Valuations Associate Director
Do you have a strong financial skillset and sound commercial acumen? Are you passionate about understanding businesses, industries and capital markets and how value is created and communicated? Are you ready to take on a leadership role in a growing team?
The question of ‘Value’ consistently underpins the decision-making process of Boards, management, investors and other stakeholders. Our specialist Valuations team provides value related advice, assisting clients in managing value throughout the business cycle in circumstances relating to M&A transactions, financial reporting, tax, litigation and management decision-making. Since January 2009, we have prepared more independent expert reports than any of our major competitors in the Australian market place, making us Australia’s leading corporate valuations teams.
Examples of our Work
- We assisted one of Australia’s largest infrastructure services businesses in its acquisition of a leading player in the facilities management services segment. We analysed a large portfolio of customer contracts to help our client understand future cash flows likely to emanate from the portfolio and potential implications for earnings as a result of the acquisition
- We assisted the shareholders of an ASX listed company understand an offer received from another company to buy their shares. This included advice on the fair value of their shares, based on an analysis of numerous similar businesses listed on capital markets around the world in order to understand the relative value of the company. This analysis was supplemented with a detailed operational and financial analysis to build forecasts of potential future performance
- We assisted a private equity firm understand the tax consequences of the investment strategy they were proposing to execute in respect of a $1b+ acquisition they had undertaken in the business services sector. Our analysis involved understanding the various constituent (tangible and intangible) assets and operations of the multi-national group
Following an internal promotion, we are currently looking to hire an Associate Director in our Melbourne team.
About the Opportunity
The role will provide you the opportunity to build a technical skill-set whilst taking a leadership role in project management and executing a range of complex engagements such as high-profile transactions involving ASX-listed corporates, large scale or unique business/asset valuations, and complex valuations involving bespoke modelling and analytics.
More specifically, working in a supportive and collegial team, you will be involved in the following:
- In-depth company, economic, industry, capital markets and competitor research, data analysis and benchmarking
- Employment of various valuation methodologies such as discounted cash flow, earnings multiples, excess earnings, comparative sales and replacement cost methods, capital asset pricing model, etc
- Bespoke financial modelling to facilitate the valuation, including scenario/sensitivity/statistical analysis
- Review of valuation reports, exhibits, letters and other client deliverables
- Participation in business development initiatives, both with the Partner in the team, and through your personal networks
- Lead and mentor a small team, including providing formal and informal training
- Manage client relationships and lead discussions during client meetings
- Project manage engagements, including tracking delivery against engagement timelines and budgets
About your Experience
Our preferred candidate is a natural collaborator who is able to think unconventionally, apply commercial thinking and challenge the status quo in designing solutions to real and technical problems. We seek (and reward) talent with a strong problem solving attitude founded on the use of innovative solutions. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- 7+ years of business and intangible asset valuation experience gained in a consulting environment
- Experience with project management including overseeing a team to deliver in line with agreed timelines and budgets
- Strong experience in applying generally accepted valuation approaches: cost, market and income approach
- Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills, and the confidence to interact with senior stakeholders
- Bachelor or Master degree in finance, economics, mathematics, engineering, actuarial or data science, with an interest in undertaking a relevant post-graduate qualification (e.g. CA, CFA, MBA or Masters in Finance)
- A strong market presence and/or desire to build a profile within the Melbourne valuations community
About Us: Deloitte Culture
Deloitte Australia is embarking on a transformational Journey as part of its 2020 strategy to become the undisputed leader in professional services and make an impact that matters by delivering ideas for a better Australia.
From day one at our firm you’ll be considered part of the Deloitte community and our development and career progression framework will help you develop the skills and capabilities you need to succeed – in every sense of the word. At Deloitte, we assume that you perform other roles within your life…you could be a student, a teacher, a passionate hobbyist and a caring family member. We recognise the importance of balance and embrace agility, understanding that this means different things to each and every one of our employees.
If you are interested in this role, we recommend that you apply online as soon as practical. Should you have specific questions you can contact Steph Russell in our Talent Acquisition team on 02 9322 7695.