Aurecon is a global and multi-disciplinary engineering and advisory consultancy with a progressive focus on People. We ‘Bring Ideas To Life’ by providing the best environment possible for our key assets, our people, to shine.
Why Aurecon? Because we believe the same as you, that people come first. We also believe in supporting our people to be the best they can be. Involved in both operational and strategic delivery from planning to implementation, you will be part of a global company which operates with a leadership team who is highly focused on our Employee and Client Experience. We highly value the people part of our business, and you will be led by, and have input to, our strategy.
As our projects grow our Northern Australian team are expanding and have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Environmental Scientist to join the team in Mackay.
You will work with our friendly and highly experienced team delivering unique and exciting environmental and ecological outcomes throughout Australia.
The role includes field investigations and ecological surveys, environmental offset planning and approvals across aquatic and terrestrial environments. You will be undertaking vegetation and RE mapping, vegetation community surveys, botanical surveys, fauna and habitat assessments, surveys for threatened species and rehabilitation of degraded sites.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate an understanding and experience with the following areas;
Vegetation and regional ecosystem, threatened species and vegetation management plans, Flora and fauna surveys, targeted species searches, environmental offset planning and assessments, design and implementation of receiving environment monitoring programs, fauna spotting and catching, restorative ecology and bushfire management.
Likewise Management of referrals under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, legislative knowledge and practical understanding of compliance requirements of relevant local, state and federal legislation in the geographical area is required.
The skills and abilities we are searching for include:
• A Bachelor Degree in an ecology or related environmental science discipline.
• A minimum of five years’ experience, preferably within Australia, and preferably with a substantial proportion of experience in a private consultancy setting.
• Exemplary flora and fauna identification skills.
• A high level of ‘field fitness’, that is, the ability to undertake extended field work throughout Australia, in varying and sometimes challenging environments, and often in remote locations.
• Willingness to travel and spend time away from home.
• A genuine enjoyment of what you do as an ecologist. Ideally, we are looking for someone who is as passionate about ecology as the rest of our team.
• The ability to project manage and an understanding of field operations and associated logistics.
• Real world experience of the activities that occur on industrial, construction, mining and urban development sites.
Based Mackay, this role offers diverse, interesting and challenging work with the opportunity to make your mark in a consulting environment. The person we are seeking must be available for periodic (sometimes frequent) fieldwork assignments to potentially remote areas, for durations of up to two weeks.
Aurecon offers training support where needed, to meet our clients' needs and to ensure that our team's skills remain current. We are committed to fostering a culture that empowers our people, promotes teamwork and encourages sustainability. A competitive remuneration package will be negotiated for the successful candidate.
Aurecon is an equal opportunity employer.