Senior Energy Analyst / Analyst
Due to a recent internal move, we currently have an opportunity for a Senior Energy Analyst and an Analyst to join our team. This role delivers analysis, commercial insights and makes recommendations that drives the decision-making process to effectively manage the wholesale gas portfolio and in the development and implementation of market-leading value-creating strategies.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- provision and oversight of high-quality analysis, the use and development of sophisticated models and providing research and reporting services to the Wholesale Markets team
- Effectively engage stakeholders in order to provide timely information in regard to portfolio changes and pricing information.
- Responsible for short term analysis of the market and offering commercial solutions to any problems that may arise.
- Coordination with Marketing, Commercial & Business Development to ensure accurate analysis supports decision making
- Deliver and drive high-quality end-to-end analysis to support the decision-making process(es) that allows for effective management of the wholesale gas portfolio
- Accountable for producing market research with the primary purpose to provide the portfolio management team with information and insights that will drive the development and implementation of value creating strategies.
- Prepares reports and/or presentations that document the analysis, and/or the research conducted. The report and/or presentation will not only be informative but will be required to provide persuasive elements, such as recommendations, suggestions, or other motivating conclusions that indicate possible future actions the report reader might take or require further inquiry/investigation.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Will have relevant experience within an energy trading company. Commodity market experience preferred but not essential
- Strong analytical skills with experience of trading systems and portfolio valuation techniques.
- Advanced MS Excel skills and ability to use VBA or other similar coding languages.
- Proven ability to understand complex problems and design innovative solutions.
- A tertiary qualification in a quantitative discipline preferred (e.g. mathematics, engineering, statistics, physical science, economics)
- Commercially astute individual whose strong analytical skills are balanced with a commercial understanding of the gas and global oil and LNG markets.
- Computer/IT skills- High level of competence with Excel, Access, SQL query writing. Competence with PYTHON and VBA highly desirable. Intermediate level of competence with using Word & PowerPoint
- Creative/Imaginative skills – The ability to see linkages between apparently unrelated matters. Intellectual curiosity. Ability to develop and deploy new or unusual or creative approaches to problem solving. A desire for continual learning and development.
- Time management skills – the ability to prioritise and work effectively under pressure
- Writing skills - Clear, concise, accuracy of grammar, punctuation, spelling. Wide vocabulary – but with the ability to use the simplest possible terms to convey the desired message.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be working in an A-grade building with state of the art activity based working facilities. Being supported by our new flexible ways of working. We call it Smarter Working.
You’ll get the opportunity to work with some of the most engaged and innovative in the business. Being exposed to more opportunities to advance your skills and career.
Working in a company the size of ours the sky’s the limit for your career aspirations and we’re focused on investing in you.
It truly is an exciting time to be part of AGL Energy as we lead the way in generating sustainable energy solutions for all Australians.
With a heritage of over 175 years and listed in the top 50 companies on the ASX, AGL offers a genuinely diverse, safe and supportive work environment, where "actions not words" fosters a culture of achievement and personal development.
You must be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident to be considered for these opportunities. Previous applicants will be reviewed and need not apply.
For immediate consideration, please apply now.
Come with us on a journey of exploration and creativity, doing the same things differently, better, faster by encompassing innovation and passion for a more sustainable world.