Operational Systems Engineer
About the Role
Based out at our site at Torrens Island (South Australia), we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced System Engineer to be responsible for provision of network and server support and problem escalation services for AGL’s Operational Network.
This is a permanent full-time role.
Reporting to the Manager, Operational Networks, the system Engineer is responsible for implementation of new technologies within AGL’s operational Networks.
The role would also be responsible for operational server systems and network documentation.
- Server Management – Support Operating system and application configuration of Operational Network servers. Support Active Directory domains, databases and hardware. Develop and maintain system documentation. Procurement of server hardware and software as directed. Manage remote access devices and provide after-hours support for critical systems
- Network Systems Support – Provide technical support for network switches, routers and firewalls. Proactive monitor network systems. Design and engineer innovative solutions to facilitate robust and secure interfaces between old and new technologies. Liaise with third party IT service providers as required
- Operational Network Systems Security – Monitor Network systems security. Report suspicious activity to AGL IT Security team. Manage and update virus protection software. Conduct proactive server health checks
- Manage scheduling of system outages to minimise business disruption
- Provide client focused, pro-active support
With demonstrated experience working as System Engineer in a similar/related industry, some of the key skills/experience we are looking for are:
- Relevant tertiary or equivalent qualification in IT preferred
- Minimum 5+ years of experience providing IT operational services
- Must have advanced CISCO router, switch, firewall support, Microsoft OS, application support, virtual (VMWare) environment support and storage area network support skills
- Must have knowledge of remote desktop implementation
- Good to have working knowledge of IT Security Practices, IT disaster resilience and redundancy practices.
- Identify opportunities to deliver best business practice and provide solutions for improvement in internal process.
- Ability to work independently without much supervision
- Effective interpersonal and written communications skills
What’s in it for you?
Opportunity to work in the largest power station of South Australia and the largest natural gas fired power station in Australia in a beautiful regional setting and get the opportunity to work with some of the most engaged and innovative people in the business. You will be exposed to a variety of opportunities to advance your skills and career.
It truly is an exciting time to be part of AGL Energy as we lead the way in generating sustainable energy solutions for all Australians. AGL has a long history as an employer of choice around the country, and offers a genuinely diverse, safe and supportive work environment, where "actions not words" fosters a culture of achievement and personal development.
Come with us on a journey of exploration and creativity, doing the same things differently, better, faster by encompassing innovation and passion for a more sustainable world.